Uniden BCD325P2 Review 2023- Enhance Your Scanning Hobby
Many scanning enthusiasts love getting their hands on the latest police scanner gadgets to help them enjoy their hobby even more thoroughly. Although there are many scanners on the market, this Uniden BCD325P2 offers some of the best features, in a compact design that makes it fun to use.
With this exhaustive uniden bcd325p2 review, you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about this scanner, including how it works, information on its features, and its range. Once you have read this information, you will be armed with everything you need to know to make the right purchase choice for your police scanning needs.
What Does a Police Scanner Do?
Scanners, often called police scanners, are radio devices that allow users to scan various channels used by law enforcement, EMS, fire departments, and ambulance services.
There are different kinds of police scanners, including desktop and portable versions. Most people purchase police scanners because they want to know what is going on in the world around them.
These scanners allow individuals to learn about important events in their area, and many consider it a hobby they enjoy doing. Scanners can scan thousands of channels, allowing users to overhear interesting conversations regarding happenings in their areas.
Why Should You Buy a Police Scanner?
If you have never used a police scanner, you may not know what you are missing out on. Many reasons prompt people to pick up these scanners and start their new hobbies, including the following.
- Safety is an important reason to buy a police scanner. As you read this uniden bearcat bcd325p2 review, you will see that with a scanner, you can learn about important weather alerts and emergencies that could affect your family.
- Using these scanners is fun for the entire family. With portable units, you can take them on the go.
- Police scanners are easy to use, especially with a compact design like is offered with this Uniden model.
- You will learn about local happenings before they even hit the newspapers or stations.
- You can gain valuable information that helps you make important decisions.
Now that you know why police scanners are such important tools, you must understand what to look for when purchasing a scanning tool. Consider the following to get started.
What to Consider When Looking for a Police Scanner?
There are a few things you are going to want to consider when purchasing a police scanner. Keeping these things in mind will help you make an informed choice, even if you decide the Uniden BCD325P2 is not for you.
- Digital or analog? Although some people prefer the old analog scanners, these are quickly going out of style. Keep in mind, just about everything is going digital. If you buy a digital scanner, it should be able to scan all types of formats.
- Handheld or stationed? Although stationed desktop versions are sometimes more powerful, most people like the benefit of portability. Handheld versions are much easier to operate and you can take them with you.
- How difficult is the programming? You will want to make sure the scanner is easy to program.
- How is the memory? Make sure the memory of the police scanner is high enough to allow you to store your scans.
- Price? Price is an important consideration. Although you will need to work within your budget, remember that you get what you pay for in most cases.
Features of the Uniden BCD325P2
The right features are critical for being able to get the most out of any police scanner. Thankfully, the Uniden BCD325P2 is loaded with all the bells and whistles you would expect, and they are all packed inside a compact handheld design that makes it easy to transport your scanner everywhere you go. The following offers insight into some of the most important features of this Uniden police scanner.
- The Uniden BCD325P2 is compatible with GPS. This means as you are traveling, the scanner will automatically update the frequencies, offering you new channels for the area.
- This model works with several systems, including Phase 1, Phase 2, Motorola, APCO 25, X2-TDMA, and many more.
- With dynamic channel allocation, you are not bound to a fixed preset of channels that can limit your scanning ability.
- The X2-TDMA offers over 25,000 channels, giving you many options for listening in.
- This model uses Close Call RF capture technology. This means the scanner will automatically tune into the channels that are nearest you, so you get information for your area.
- This Uniden model also offers Quick-Key System Access. You have 100 keys to allow you quick access to the channels you use most.
- This Uniden model offers S.A.M.E. Weather Alert, which helps to keep you up-to-date on the latest weather events in your area.
- With the Uniden BCD325P2, you can tag channels, so you can better keep track of your favorites.
- By using a USB, you can hook this scanner directly up to your computer.
There are so many features with the BCD325P2 that it would take pages upon pages to cover them all in their entirety. This model is one of the best handheld police scanner devices on the market, and it has proven its power to its many users.
What About the Battery Life?
Because this is a portable handheld police scanner, it obviously runs off of a battery. First of all, it is important to know which type of battery to use. You will need to use only Ni-MH batteries or Alkaline batteries. The owner’s manual lists these as the only two that are acceptable for use. The unit comes with two rechargeable batteries.
The battery life for this device is around eight hours. This is one of the few areas people complain about when using the Uniden BCD325P2. This device needs AA batteries. Many users purchase rechargeable alkaline AA batteries, to ensure they always have charged batteries to keep their device running.
If you plan on using the Uniden BCD325P2 to stay abreast of critical weather and other situations in your area, it would be wise to keep a stash of batteries handy at all times.
What About Programming?
You must know upfront that this is NOT a scanner for beginners. If you are really new to scanning, you may find the programming process difficult and even confusing.
This is a trunked system, and you must know how to use it effectively. The following steps are necessary for programming your Uniden BCD325P2.
You will first need to create a New P25 System. Press Menu and then follow these steps.
- At Program System press yes.
- At System Select, scroll to New System and press yes.
- At Select Sys Type, scroll to P25 and press yes.
- Next, scroll to Standard Trunk or One-Freq Trunk and press yes.
- When you reach Confirm, press yes.
- When you reach Edit Name, press yes and see entering text.
- Scroll over to Edit Sys Options and press yes.
Continue with the following steps. (Set Number Tag) Press Menu.
- When you reach Program System, press yes.
- When you reach Select System, scroll over to New System and press yes.
- At Select Sys Type, scroll to MOT and press yes.
- When you reach Confirm, press yes.
- At Edit Name, press yes and see entering text.
- Then scroll to Edit Sys Operations and press yes.
Continue with the next steps at Set Number Tag Below and Hit Menu.
- When you see Program System, press yes.
- When you see Select System, scroll to New System and then press yes.
- When you see Select Sys Type, scroll over to EDCS and make sure to hit yes.
- Scroll over to WIDE/NARROW or SCAT and press yes.
- When you reach confirm, press yes.
As stated, it is important to understand programming is not an easy feat with this police scanner. There are a lot of amazing features, but you need to have some knowledge of programming if you plan on buying.
If you are completely new to using a police scanner, make sure to check out as many information sites as possible. Some videos can help you as well.
Pros and Cons
A review would not be much of a review without the pros and cons that allow you to decide for yourself whether the Uniden BCD325P2 is for you. Here, you will find all the pros and cons that will help you better understand if this is a purchase you want to make.
- Offers superior compatibility over other police scanners
- Is compact and highly portable
- Works across a wide range of systems
- Finding channels is very easy
- Hooks directly to your computer
- The backlit display allows you to see in low light
- The scanner has a short battery life
What’s in the Box?
Most people who are purchasing any electronic item want to know what is in the box. There are several pieces in the box that you need to be aware of before purchasing.
- The BCD325P2 Scanner
- USB cable
- Two Rechargeable AA Ni-Mh batteries
- Attached belt clip
- Instruction manual
What About the Warranty?
Like most manufacturers, Uniden offers a limited warranty for their unit. The scanner itself has a one-year limited warranty and all accessories are 90-day.
You must save your receipt to return the item within a year. Check out the warranty documents that are included in the box because not all types of damage may be covered.
Tips for Using the Uniden BCD325P2
- Learn how to program your Uniden BCD325P2 before use.
- Never use your Uniden BCD325P2 in wet areas.
- Remove the batteries if you will store your Uniden BCD325P2 long-term.
- Do not attempt to modify the Uniden BCD325P2.
- Repairs are best carried out by Uniden or you could void your warranty.
Refer to your owner’s manual and use the Uniden BCD325P2 safely. Never use this police scanner in an unauthorized manner.
How to Clean the Uniden BCD325P2
You must clean your handheld police scanner properly. Never submerge the unit in water and do not use any cleansers or soaps.
If your unit becomes overly dusty, you may use compressed air to blow the dust out of the small crevices. You can also use a slightly damp cloth to gently wipe away any fingerprints from the backlit display.
It is wise to store your handheld police scanner in a dry environment since moisture can lead to problems with operation. Avoid storing your unit in extreme temperatures, whether too hot or too cold.
Uniden Vs. Whistler
There are two big rivals in the police scanner world, and they are Uniden and Whistler. When people compare the two, they have discovered the Uniden has better audio, is easier to program, and offers better features. Also, Uniden scanners trunk while Whistlers do not.
People often have a lot of questions when it comes to the Uniden BCD325P2. The following are some of the most commonly asked questions.
1. Can you charge the batteries while the scanner is on?
No, you cannot charge the batteries while the unit is on. It must be powered off first. An external battery charger is ideal.
2. Can amateurs use this police scanner?
This is not a unit for beginners. If you have never used a programmable police scanner, it is wise to train first.
3. Can you carry the Uniden BCD325P2 in your pocket?
Yes. The unit is compact enough to be carried in a pocket.
The Uniden BCD325P2 is a powerful handheld police scanner that allows you to hear a wide array of channels, up to 25,000. Not only can you use this for listening to police scans, but you can also listen to all types of emergency communications, including those for severe weather alerts.
Now that you know all the necessary facts with this uniden bcd325p2 review, you are ready to get started on your purchase. Although this unit is compact, it offers amazingly powerful features that will enhance your scanning hobby like never before.