These radios use a lower cost chassis and you can just squeak 5 KHz down from them using a 5.6 µh chock in series with the varactor diode D23.
The following instructions will open and increase the clarifier range:
- Remove D25
- Jump D24
- Lift the ground side of D23 and install a 5.6µh choke from the open lead of the diode to ground.
- With a volt meter find +8 volts on the clarifier control and cut that trace. Make sure nothing else is connected to this potentiometer contact.
- Connect the open terminal of the clarifier control to + 8 volts constant (IC4 pin 1).
- Jumper the other side of the clarifier control to ground.
- Set the clarifier to the 3 O’clock position.
- Connect a frequency counter to TP3.
- In AM adjust L16 to 16.4900 MHz.
- In USB adjust L17 to 16.4925 MHz.
- In LSB adjust L18 to 16.4875 MHz.
The President AR144 and Cobra 146GTL have similar circuits and the above instructions are adaptable to them.